Thursday 27 November 2014

Recovery in Boquete

The first thing we did when we saw our huge private room with a stone walk in shower and private balcony was extend our stay... to a week. Boquete is a small town nestled in the valley of the mountains with 2 gentle rivers flowing through. A picturesque village originally built by the Swiss complete with red slanted roofs. On our first walk through town the smell of blooming flowers was incredible, no wonder the locals call it the town of eternal spring.  A couple days later we went white water rafting for my first time ever. I was very excited and nervous about the whole thing. The rapids were not too big, with a 3+ being the largest, but with adrenaline pumping I found them challenging and exilerating. Then while going through our last difficult section our guide, Travis and the two other guys with us were ejected into the current simultaneously, leaving me alone in the raft! I stood up to take control and assess the situation, needless to say a few seconds later found myself also falling into the rushing water. Thankfully our guide was quick and pulled me in, next he threw Travis a rope as he had drifted the farthest. Turning around (on my knees this time) I saw the fear in the two guys faces as the rapids up ahead looked worse. With a sense of urgency I grabbed one and then the other throwing them into the raft. I think they were as impressed as I was with my adrenaline enhanced abilities. The next day I came down with a cold and spent the following few days in bed. It was hard being sick away from home, I missed my mom, but was thankful for our cozy room. Once I was well enough, we rented a scooter and toured the countryside, it was beautiful and a lot of fun. Twice the scooter wasn't powerful enough to get up a hill with both of us on, so I had to jump off, laughing as Travis had to push the scooter to get it up the hill. I enjoyed seeing the local children, they are so adorable and cheerfully waved to us as we slowly scooted by. We then spent a full day planning on next location, left our big packs at our hostel, packed our day packs for a week... off to Panama City!


1 comment:

  1. You went rafting!! I’m impressed. Your room sounded wonderful. Hope you are having a fantastic time. Keep up the posts!

    ReplyDelete