Wednesday 19 November 2014

The Eccentric Lost and Found - updated

From Bocas Town the road twisted and turned up into the cloud forest. Even though the shuttle van was fairly comfortable I felt carsick. After a couple hours the van pulled over along the side of the hill and dropped us off on the road. It took about 15 minutes to climb up the hill along a cute stone pathway with signs of encouragement and benchs to rest on along the way before we reached the Lost and Found hostel. This hostel is in the middle of nowhere, built on the side of a hill, with no vehicle access. It took a while to adjust to every building being spread out, including the toilets which were about 50 meters up hill from the bedrooms. What we loved the most was the incredible view of the valley as well as Panama's only Volcan, Baru, from the outdoor kitchen area. On our first day we went for a hike, a treasure hunt to be exact, with a couple we met from Switzerland. The dense cloud forest, butterflies, monkeys and river were truly amazing. It felt like we were walking in a fairytale, like Alice in Wonderland in an enchanted forest. The Lost and Found is hard to describe, at first we felt uncomfortable in our rustic surroundings. For example, the terrifying shower experience. After our hike we inhaled our regular chicken and rice supper and then walked up to the open air shower stalls in the dark. With only one light bulb the forest bugs seemed to gather around it in droves. While Travis showered under the trickle of cold water, like that of a garden hose, I stood guard over our clothes, shaking off the beetles and bugs who kept trying to crawl inside. Then it was my turn, it was difficult trying to get clean while staring at the very large spider in the doorway and large beetle on shower floor and swatting the moths away at the same time. I had to talk my way through the process out loud to help keep calm. I must have sounded so funny, "now I'm using the soap", "now I'm rinsing my hair".  That was our only shower in 3 days, I chose to smell over risking the bugs again. I also received my first wasp bites on my ankles, the pain was terrible but thankfully only lasted a few hours. On our way out we took a tour to a secret waterfall and enjoyed some natural hot springs, an excellent way to leave our hill top adventure and head into the town of Boquete. 




2 comments:

  1. This whole trip sounds like a dream. I love your descriptions. The Lost and Found sounds like an interesting place! Talk about culture shock. Open air showers?? Enjoy Boquete! I’ll be thinking of you as I wrap up my courses and prepare for exams and Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I added more detail about the showers Krista for your enjoyment, they did have doors, although I was too scared to close it and be alone with nature, but the thin walls didn't go all the way up so the cool night breeze blew in. Crazy times lol

    ReplyDelete